Extension of Payroll Tax Cut

President Obama will be signing an extension of the 2% payroll tax cut (Social Security tax) shortly, extending the employee’s payroll tax cut to December 31, 2012. 
 

Background: Payroll or “FICA” tax withholding from employee paychecks is 6.2% of pay for Social Security funding and 1.45% for Medicare funding (total “FICA” of 7.65%). As an economic stimulus, federal legislation had temporarily reduced the Social Security portion from 6.2% to 4.2% for the 2011 year – thus giving employees another 2% in their net take-home pay. This was scheduled to expire on December 31, and the cut amount would be taken out of paychecks again. (As an example, 2% of pay is about $11.50 per week for someone making $30,000 per year.) This new legislation will extend the cut for another year, to December 31, 2012. 

 

The compromise passed by Congress last week also extends long-term unemployment benefits and delays a steep reduction in reimbursement rates to physicians for treatments for Medicare recipients.
 
All three measures were otherwise scheduled to expire at the end of this month.  

Thank you 2017 Community Partners

Platinum Partners

Gold Partners

Facebook

Get the Facebook Likebox Slider Pro for WordPress