Assists with the nursing care of patients. Assists surgeon during operative and invasive procedures. Ensures operating suite is adequately prepared for procedure. Monitor PAR level of all surgical instruments and supplies. Cleans and sterilizes all surgical instruments. Participates in departmental staff meetings and performance improvement activities. Performs routine and delegated duties in accordance with the A.O.R.N. Standards. Takes on-call status as assigned for Surgical Services Department.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Prepares room in a timely manner with all anticipated instruments, sutures, supplies and equipment for each individual surgical procedure
- Demonstrates competence in care of specimens and accurately handles specimens at all times
- Assists in positioning, prepping and draping of patients for surgical procedures
- Performs services requiring technical or manual skills under the direction of Circulating RN.
- Cleans and prepares rooms between procedures and after last case; restocks supplies, when necessary and organizes effectively for end-of-case clean up.
- Follows written procedures for steam sterilization; knows responsibilities and the necessity for chemical and biological monitoring.
- Makes decisions reflecting knowledge of facts and good judgment within the Operating Room Technician’s scope of practice.
- Performs other duties as assigned within scope of practice.
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent.
- Current BLS
- Satisfactory completion of Operating Room Technician Program and/or equivalent on the job training
- Minimum one (1) year of work experience in the Operating Room
- Demonstrates adherences to infection control policies. Uses PPE
- Demonstrates knowledge of OSHA regulations.
- Complies with Blood borne Pathogen, TB exposure Plans, and Hazardous Waste Management Program.
- Basic medical terminology and knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
- Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Basic computer skills
Sheridan Memorial Hospital is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
To apply, click here.