Engineer Associate – Natural Gas Utility
Job Title:Engineer Associate – Natural Gas Utility
Posting Dates: 1/4/2019 – 1/18/2019
Job #: 19-11-01
Company: Montana-Dakota Utilities Co.
Department: Gas Engineering
Location: Sheridan, WY
Hiring Manager: Lynn A Hartje
Position Type: Full-Time
Posting Type: Internal / External
This position is being posted both internally and externally with first consideration given to qualified internal applicants.
Salary: $3,827/$5,153 – $4,783/$6,442 /month
Job Summary: Responsible for placing safety as #1 priority in day to day work routine for self and others. Responsible for pre-engineering, project coordination, inspection and related design, economic justification and installation of gas distribution systems and other construction related activities. Responsible for facilitating and coordinating the construction of new and existing facilities with internal and external customers.
Minimum Qualifications: Level I: Must possess a working knowledge of gas utility operations at a level normally acquired through a two-year degree with strong technical emphasis or related experience, including a minimum of two years’ experience in the construction or maintenance of related facilities. Ability to work with potential customers and outside entities, including municipalities and utilities.
Level II: Must meet Level I requirements and must have four years’ experience as an Engineer Associate. Employee’s job assignment/location must require demonstration of skills, knowledge and ability to recognize matters needing attention and to initiate action on that recognition. Must have excellent working knowledge of company practices, procedures as well as state and federal requirements and understand policies, practices and precedents to exercise sound judgment in handling or referring non-routine situations.
Level III: Must meet Level I & Level II requirements and must possess a working knowledge of gas and/or electric operations normally acquired through a four-year degree in engineering or a business related discipline or eight years of related work experience; and two years’ experience in the construction or maintenance of electric or gas facilities. Provides operations direction and expertise as needed within the District/Region.
1. Works with Regional Management to help coordinate construction work and new service installations in the most efficient manner possible.
2. Prepares construction authorizations, maps, forms, permits, locates, and other documents relating to construction and maintenance of projects and equipment. Prepares work orders and purchase orders as needed.
3. Facilitates installation of service by measuring service or main lines and securing commitment contracts. Serves as liaison between the company crews, customers, architects, engineers, contractors and consultants regarding systems design and construction while ensuring safety and appropriate construction practices are observed. Serves as a point of contact for the Company.
4. Prepares feasibility studies and engineering design of distribution extensions. Defines specifications and assures proper installation according to Company, State and Federal regulations.
5. Oversees and provides inspection for crews performing construction, maintenance or restoration duties.
6. Recommends changes to policies, practices, standards, and procedures that may enhance efficiency, reliability, or safety.
7. Assists with design and construction management of new facilities.
8. Performs other tasks and special projects as assigned.
In addition to the duties above, an Engineer Associate II and III must be able to perform the following duties:
1. Provides after-hour support during emergency conditions, accepts “Supervisor On Call Duty” as assigned.
2. Provides guidance and assists with training of Engineer Associate I.
This position exists in several locations and the emphasis of the various job functions will vary from location to location.
Preferred Qualifications: Degree in business or engineering disciplines and prior leadership experience.
• May be required to submit to periodic background checks if position requires access to security sensitive business locations and/or systems.
• May be subject to on-call requirements on a rotating basis.
• Required to maintain a valid driver’s license.
• May be subject to substance abuse testing program.
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States, no sponsorships considered.
• Subject to pre-employment drug testing and background checks.
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.mdu.com or fax completed application to 701-222-7821.
How To Apply: Please apply on-line at jobs.mdu.com or contact your local job service office.
MDU Resources Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected Veteran status.